Transgender people cleared to join military, for now

Frank Franklin II

FILE – In a Wednesday, July 26, 2017 file photo, demonstrators gather in Times Square, in New York to protest after President Donald Trump declared a ban on transgender troops serving anywhere in the U.S. military. The Justice Department has put its proposed ban on transgender military recruits on hold, meaning their enlistment can start Monday, Jan. 1, 2017. But the future for transgender people in the armed forces remains murky. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II, File)

WASHINGTON — The Justice Department has made clear its proposed ban on transgender military recruits is on hold, meaning their enlistment can start Monday.

But the future for transgender people in the armed forces remains murky. The Justice Department isn’t dropping its court fight to institute the ban on transgender enlistment but said Friday it would wait for a Pentagon study on the issue in coming weeks before deciding what to do next.

President Donald Trump said in July that the government would not allow transgender people to serve in the military, reversing Obama-era policy. So far he’s been unable to achieve that prohibition.

On Dec. 22, a panel of the federal appeals court in the District of Columbia refused the Trump administration’s request to let the ban start Jan. 1. Other federal judges have also refused to side with the administration. The Pentagon said then that it would allow transgender enlistment to start with the new year and continue as legal struggles play out.


3
comments on this story

The Justice Department said late Friday the Pentagon “will be releasing an independent study of these issues in the coming weeks,” so the…

Article Source…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *