The number of people using the London Underground has dropped for the first time in more than 20 years as recent terror attacks in the capital deter passengers from making trips on the Tube.
Growing use of Netflix and Deliveroo are also believed to have prompted the decline in Tube passengers, as people increasingly get food delivered and watch films at home rather than travelling out to restaurants and cinemas.
Transport for London (TfL) figures show the number of people using the Underground has dropped by 2 per cent in the year to November 2017, amounting to four million fewer people travelling on the Tube.
Apart from a slight dip in passenger numbers following the financial crash in 2008, the drop in numbers marks the first decrease in more than two decades, said TfL’s commissioner for transport, Mike Brown.
In the year to November 2017, 416.7 million people travelled on the London Underground, compared with 421.2 million the year before.
Passengers on trains coming into London have seen an even larger decrease. The number of people using Govia Thameslink Railway, South West Trains and Southeastern all fell by more than 5 per cent in April to June 2017/18, compared to the previous year, as their fares rose.
The passenger figures were discussed in a Budget and Performance Committee meeting on Wednesday, where TfL urged that despite the drop, the recently announced fare freeze on the Underground meant Tube passenger numbers had not declined as steeply as train passenger numbers.
They said terrorism fears had been a significant factor in the decline, with passenger numbers dropping in the immediate aftermath of the terror attacks that took place in the past year.
Lifestyle changes prompted by technological developments were also said to have had an impact.
Mr Brown said: “Over recent months there’s been an element of softening of Tube demand, which we haven’t seen for the last over 20 years apart from a small blip…