By MAGGIE ASTOR and ASHLEY SOUTHALL
The New York Times
At least 12 people were killed when a fire tore through a century-old apartment building in the Bronx on a frigid Thursday night, Mayor Bill de Blasio said. It was the deadliest fire in New York City in more than a quarter-century.
In addition to the deaths, four people were critically injured and two people sustained non-life-threatening injuries, the mayor said at a news conference late Thursday.
The first emergency call came at 6:51 p.m. for a fire in a five-story apartment building at 2363 Prospect Avenue in the Belmont section, a spokesman for the New York City Fire Department said, and the department responded in three minutes. Within an hour, the fire had reached four-alarm status, and more than 160 firefighters were on site.
By the time the mayor spoke around 10 p.m., the flames had been brought under control. The cause was not yet clear.
It was a bitterly cold night, with temperatures in the teens, and the wind chill made it feel like single digits. Displaced residents walked around draped in American Red Cross blankets.
Under a sign welcoming visitors to Little Italy, a woman wailed as she hopped out of a Red Cross vehicle. The woman, who declined to give her name, said that she…